We Say: Last week’s failure of the AHCA opens the door of opportunity for a Full Repeal of Obamacare.
Healthcare is a bipartisan issue. But crafted behind closed doors the:
- Democratic partisan ACA made problems much worse
- Republican partisan AHCA failed to repeal and replace
It is highly unlikely that the obstructionist Democrats will engage in bipartisan efforts to repeal and replace their bill that is causing healthcare costs to skyrocket and choices to plummet.
Heritage has provided a blueprint for the Republicans to deliver on their campaign promises to repeal and replace Obamacare.
Republished from Heritage.org, by Edmund Haislmaier, Robert Moffit, and Alvene Senger, February 17, 2017. Image credit: image not covered by license
Obamacare is a proven policy failure. Congress and the Trump Administration must completely repeal the law, beginning by seizing the opportunity to accomplish as much of repeal as possible through the reconciliation process. Congress must focus on the fundamentals: equalizing the tax treatment of health insurance; restoring commonsense regulation of health insurance; and addressing the serious need for reform in Medicare and Medicaid by adopting policies that give individuals control over their health care. High quality health care means all Americans should be free to choose a health care plan that meets their needs and reflects their values. Congress must act now to repeal Obamacare and replace it with a new set of options that empower Americans, not government.
- The new Administration and Congress have the opportunity not only to free America from the failure of Obamacare but also to improve on the prior system.
- Congress should act immediately to initiate repeal while the Administration takes aggressive administrative actions to stabilize the private market.
- Congress must replace Obamacare through a careful transition process that establishes everyone on more solid ground.
This content is published under the Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license. Please honor attribution.