The founders gave us the tool in Article V of our Constitution. It is up to us to use it.
CLICK HERE for the real-time US Debt clock.
This week, I want to make sure you are aware of a few recent noteworthy items.
- Last week, the national debt hit a new record: $19 trillion. This is the first time in history that a nation has owed so much. The politicians have truly taken us in to uncharted waters and show no sign of slowing down. This means every man, woman, and child now owe over $58k each to pay down the Federal debt. The CBO projects that the debt with be $26.3 trillion by the end of the decade. As you know, this does not even include all the debt from unfunded mandates. That debt is additional and off the books.
- LT Governor Patrick appointed a Senate Select Committee on Property Tax reform headed by Senator Bettencourt to address the disparity between rising local property taxes and household incomes. They plan to propose solutions to the next Legislature.
- We hope the proposed solution does more than just tinker around the edges of this problem. I believe the only solution is to completely abolish property taxes and replace them with an increase in sales tax.
- In San Antonio, where the select committee held its first field hearing last week, since 2005 city tax levies have increased 55 percent and county tax levies have increased 62 percent, compared to a median household income increase of 22 percent.
- Obviously there is a problem and we thank LT. Governor Patrick and Senator Bettencourt for their efforts to find a solution.
- Wonderful news! Tennessee, The Volunteer State, joined Alabama, Alaska, Georgia, and Florida to become the fifth state to pass the Convention of States resolution . This along with Governor Abbots Plan, where he called for an Article V Convention of States to amend the Constitution for the purpose of limiting the power and jurisdiction of the federal government, give a lot of momentum to our efforts here in Texas.
- A few naysayers incredibly still want to leave the job of shrinking the Federal Government to the Federal Government. The rest of us realize the futility of leaving this job to Washington and understand that Washington will never voluntarily surrender the powers it has usurped from the states. It is up to the states to regain the powers they have unwisely relinquished. The founders gave us the tool in Article V of our Constitution. It is up to us to use it.
Thank you Governor Abbott for your great leadership on this matter.
Allen Tharp is President of the San Antonio Tea Party.
This content is published under the Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license. Please honor attribution.