SATP Supporters and Friends:
As we move rapidly toward the close of the 84th Texas legislative session, we need to get input from all of our folks regarding where they want the SATP to devote its focus over the summer and fall. What would you like to see addressed in our next general meeting?
1) We have the King V Burwell case that will be decided sometime in June by the Supreme Court. If the decision goes against the Obama administration, we will need to be prepared to ensure that Texas makes the right decisions and stays strong against expanding Medicaid or establishing state exchanges. I assure you that large hospitals are already lobbying hard for expansion of Medicaid, even though it has been a financial fiasco in states that have done so.
You will also see groups lobbying for Congress to rewrite the law, to authorize subsidies and penalties in states that refused to set up state exchanges. The argument will be that we can’t take subsidies away from those who are receiving them, although most folks did just fine before Obamacare subsidies. They will ignore the fact that our country is broke and cannot afford another big government welfare program that makes payments to some making over $90,000 annually. They will ignore the fact that by losing government subsidies, we also lose the employer penalties that have cause many jobs to go from full time to part time. They will ignore the fact that losing subsidies will also eliminate the individual penalties currently at 2% of your annual income.
So, it is important that we be armed with the knowledge we need to combat the coming propaganda campaign. This could be the focus, in part or whole, of our next meeting.
2. Another option is that we could focus on a review of the Texas 84th legislative session and how our reps performed.
3. We can all use more training as citizen lobbyists on things like social media. Unfortunately far too few of us are active on Twitter or even Facebook. We could set up another class on this.
4. We could focus on the US Congress: Voting records of our reps and crucial legislation.
5. Invite other Tea Parties to speak on how they operate.
6. None of the above. You fill in the blank.
This content is published under the Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license. Please honor attribution.